Saturday 6 July 2013

Details about the stove

This time, some details about the stove !

First of all, it is an Edilkamin Funny. Here it is in situation in my home :


The white plates behind it are fire-blockers, they were mandatory because our house is made of wood :)
By the way, they will help me hide the cables !

As I said earlier, it has a serial port at the back :


The documentation doesn't say anything about it. So after googling some time, I found some forums which talked about it, and especially this picure :


Very well !! However, I wanted to be sure that this was compatible with my model, so I has to google much more to be sure of that. Finally, I decided to test it. I took a serial cable (we have plenty of them at work, which are quite useless !), cut it, and added a swith connected to the 2/6 pins, plugged it on the stove, and voilà ! It just worked.

Of course, there are some limitations about how you can turn it on/off. There is fire in the stove, so it doesn't turn on instantly ! When started, there are 10 minutes during which you can't do anything, so that the fire has time to set up properly. Same thing when stopping, 10 minutes for all the remaining wood to be burned.
That means you can't turn it on and off too frequently. The fire is really hot after 30 minutes, so it would be unproductive to let it burn 20 minutes and turn it off. For this reason, a hysteresis regulation has to be used on the controller, with a high delta between the thresholds.
Moreover, the temperature sensor should not be just besides the stove, because it takes time before the whole house gets hot, even if the stove has a hot air fan.

That will take me on the controller position inside the house, next time !

No comments:

Post a Comment