Monday 1 July 2013

First post ! Domotic project started

Hi everyone !

Finally, this is my first post on this blog !
For the time coming, I'm going to talk about a domotic project I'm working on for some time. Now I have some interesting things to share, so I will try to write posts every time I go on.

I got the original idea some months ago, during the long nights when my wife was feeding our baby, and I just had to wait so I could change him and take him back to bed. The point is, it was winter and the temperature outside was around 0 °C. On the other hand, we own a brand new house, which is very weel insulated, and a single pellet wood stove to heat the house. The stove is quite oversized, so when it turns on, the house gets very hot within some hours. It is then very difficult to have a constant temperature, especially at night, without burning too much wood. The good thing is, the stove has a serial input at the back, the seller told me I could buy a GPRS modem to turn it on remotely with an SMS. So I found some documentation on the Internet, and found out that I just needed to connect two pins of the port, and the stove turns on. Disconnect them, and it turns off. So what I just needed was a temperature sensor, a driving board, and I could have an automatically regulated fire !

More technical details on next post :)

5 comments:

  1. Hey !
    Looks nice! It's so cold in Brittany this year ;) ?
    Did you give some advice for other domotic's project?
    Here we have the idea to make something to display the hill, with maybe an alarm in case it was too much for our safety.
    The better will be to have the possibility to control the Automatic's Pilot for a safety fast movement in the good direction, depending of the hill side. No mistake allowed, or we will upside down !
    And I promise to organize this f##### summer barbecue when i come back!
    Bise à vous deux !
    Vous trois, pardon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Francisco !
    Actually this is my first domotic project, I've been working on an embedded Linux project at work for 3 years, so now I have the technical background for this kind of things !
    I think your project is not more complicated, you just need the right sensor and a Raspberry PI. Feel free to ask me more questions !
    You can come home for the barbecue, now we have a splendid patio, but maybe you're a bit far from here yet...
    Tcho et bon vent !

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 Raspberry PI !
    Just in case, we will be very far away from all technology place for some months.
    Good, me my code knowledge start to be old.
    For the barbecue maybe next summer (2014)...if i'm back.
    Bonne cheminée!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I can help you with the software if you need to. Retrieving the data from the sensor and sending a command to the auto pilot should be very complicated, provided you know how to talk to it ! Would you need a GUI ? If not, that's even easier...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, between cruising, fishing, snorkelling, scuba-diving & fucking (oups, pardon)...not a lot of time on this project. But thanks for your help proposition, I'll remember.

    ReplyDelete